Monday, October 3, 2011

I've got Joy down in my heart

Day 3: Joy
It was the summer of 2003 on a hot summer day in South Carolina. I was roofing a house, because that is what all high school girls do during the summer right? I remember the heat was so bad and the roof was so steep we were doing anything we could to make it through the day. My fellow roofers and I decided that singing was the best way to pass the time as we worked and so we sang:
I've got joy down in my heart
Deep Deep down in my heart
J_O_Y down in my heart
Deep Deep down in my heart
 Maybe if you have attended a youth church camp you are familiar with this tune. Today, at 25 years old, I found myself singing this tune again to pass the time and find comfort from my uncomfortable surroundings. 
Today was a hard day. Actually in the context of all the hard days millions of people probably had today mine was more like a paper cut day. Paper cuts are not fatal but they sure are painful and annoying. So my paper cut day, which in my context of days seemed more severe, reminded me why JOY is so important.
Psalm 63:7
For You have been my help, And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
Psalm 59:16
But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning, For You have been my stronghold And a refuge in the day of my distress.
Emotions are fleeting. The emotion of happiness can come and go multiple times in a day, heck even multiple times in an hour sometimes. But JOY, joy is not wavering. It is steady and true and faithful, because JOY comes from the true JOY giver. Christ in me the Hope of Glory is what gives joy that can not be taken away by a circumstance. Today it was really hard to choose happiness but it was really easy to live in the joy i have no matter the circumstance. Hoping you know JOY and can live in JOY today.

No comments:

Post a Comment