Thursday, October 13, 2011

Comfort

Today I am grateful for timing. My husband is a student at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary and I have the privilege of working there. One of the joys of being on campus at SEBTS is the chapel services that take place twice weekly. I sneak away from my desk for an hour and enter into a worship service with coworkers and co laborers for the gospel. It is good for the soul. Specifically today.
bind my wandering heart to Thee.

The past few months have been difficult with health problems, ministry stresses, and the loss of a loved one. So this morning as the chapel speaker began by saying we all enter sanctuaries sometimes with a broken heart the tears began to fall strong and fast. Being at work you would think I would try to compose myself but there was no hope in stopping the hot mess of emotion.

Ed Litton spoke with tenderness and authenticity as he described the weight of ministering out of a heart that is broken. Everyone hurts and everyone faces hard times but ministers and ministers wives experience it differently he said. We work from the heart and sometimes we have to work from a broken heart.

The truth of this as some timely in my life right now cut straight to the bone. His words became like salve to my soul as he read 2 Corinthians 1 about the ministry of comfort within us as believers that comes from the God of all Comfort.

When I think of comfort I often think of coffee, big blankets, warm fireplaces, yummy food, thanksgiving smells, and laughter. But most importantly  comfort is the One who has conquered the grave and death, comfort is the One who has healing in His hands, comfort is the One who extends grace to the wayward and love to the fatherless, comfort is the One who lives inside of my fallen broken surrendered body.
Lavender Silhouettes by Laurette van der Merwe
Check out the full message by Ed Litton here http://apps.sebts.edu/multimedia/?cat=10 

No comments:

Post a Comment