Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Belief


What does it take for our beliefs to begin to shape our actions? I have been asking this question a lot lately of both myself and those around me. For the sake of this post I will focus on my own errors in this, you know working on the plank before the speck.

There are many things I say I believe yet those beliefs don’t shape my actions. For example, I believe the Word of God is powerful and useful for every situation in life, but the amount of time I spend studying and reading it would not show proof of that belief. I believe that hell is a real place and that apart from the grace of God individuals will be there for an eternity, yet this belief doesn’t cause the words of the gospel to spill from my mouth every time I speak with someone. I believe that true religion and true love in Christ is taking care of the least of these and loving the orphan and widow, yet too many times I sit on my hands and money with no movement towards a better life for those in need.

Why is this? Could it be I don’t really hold these beliefs? Could it be I haven’t allowed these beliefs to penetrate to the soul? No really I’m asking because there is void in my life between belief and action. I don’t want this to be true of me.  Am I the only one? What are the areas of belief that have yet to become action for you?

My prayer these days: Lord help my unbelief.

Ephesians 1:18-20
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might 20 which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,

No comments:

Post a Comment