Saturday, November 26, 2011

What's your favorite Christmas carol?


Thanksgiving has come and gone. It is my most favorite holiday, time with family and wonderful food, the crispness in the air to reminds you God makes all things and He makes all things new. It is also the event that ushers in the listening of Christmas music, which is another favorite of mine.
Christmas music is joy and memories and worship of the birth of our Lord. O Holy Night, Come Let Us Adore Him, Silent Night, and so many more; these songs tell of the birth of our Savior and the response we as His creation should have. It is the wonder and magic of the season. 
In the past few years I have become more aware of how powerful the gospel is in Christmas songs. I guess growing older in age and stronger in my faith has opened my eyes to see the power of these songs. However with this realization has come a question. My question is this: Unbelievers singing Christmas songs, is this blaspheming the name of God or is this an example of something profane being made holy?
The reason I ask this question is as a follower of Christ who has surrendered my heart and sees His grace daily I sing these songs as a worship and overflow of my relationship with Christ. My confusion is, how do I respond when those who have not come to believe in Christ are singing these songs? Do I rejoice and pray that the gospel is going forth through song and ask God for ears and hearts to be opened? Do I feel heavy hearted about the truth of my God’s mercy and grace being sung about empty heartedly and with no regard to the weight of the matter?
I am throwing this question out because I am at a loss of how to respond. I believe that the use of God’s name and the story of a gospel in a flippant way is blasphemous. However I also believe that my God has the power to redeem all things for His good and His glory.
I guess my only conclusion thus far in processing this thought is to challenge all followers of Christ to feel the weight of the Christmas carols you are singing this season. Sing them in a worshipful manner that shows respect to the story you are telling. Let your heart rest in the words of the gospel and pray that as you sing through the season in worship others will see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment